Curated Royal Navy news feeds
on Twitter: @mjmuk
- Fri, 20 Dec 2013 08:34:29 +0000: 'It's mind boggling' - Royal Navy | Scoop.it
Sarah Thomas wasn't given the key to the door when she turned 21 in April.
Instead, the former Thames woman was given the controls of a British aircraft carrier. Acting lieutenant Thomas is serving on the light carrier HMS Illustrious during a one-year exchange with the Royal Navy in Portsmouth in the United Kingdom.
It's a 209-metre ship with a crew of 885 and a 168-metre flight deck.
As Officer of the Watch, she has four-hour sole-charge watches on the bridge, and acts as the captain's representative there.
- Fri, 20 Dec 2013 08:32:55 +0000: HMS Chiddingfold sailors raise charity cash with cycle ride - Royal Navy | Scoop.it
SAILORS from HMS Chiddingfold cycled from their ship in Portsmouth to their namesake village for charity.
Donning their lycra for the 152km round trip, eight of the 43-strong crew left the ship at Portsmouth Naval Base at 9am.
They arrived at the village of Chiddingfold, Surrey, in time for lunch, and cycled back to the ship for 6pm.
The group raised £1,500 for the Royal Navy and Royal Marines Charity
- Fri, 20 Dec 2013 08:31:39 +0000: Navy craft collides with ferry - Royal Navy | Scoop.it
A Royal Navy landing craft on its way to a training exercise has collided with a pedestrian ferry, the Navy said.
The crash between the craft from HMS Raleigh and the Cremyll Ferry happened at about 10:00 GMT on Thursday near Mayflower Marina at Stonehouse, Plymouth.
A spokesman for the Navy said there are no reported injuries.
- Fri, 20 Dec 2013 08:18:15 +0000: First ever Royal Navy drone launched in £30million mission to stop Somali pirates - Royal Navy | Scoop.it
First ever Royal Navy drone launched in £30million mission to stop Somali pirates.
- Fri, 20 Dec 2013 08:17:54 +0000: Royal Navy sailor from Cwmbran sends back Christmas message from Far East - Royal Navy | Scoop.it
Able Seaman Grant Coleman, 21, who works as a chef, will be in Singapore over Christmas serving on Royal Navy Type 45 destroyer HMS Daring...
on Twitter: @thenavycampaign
- Mon, 04 Mar 2013 09:52:09 +0000: Russia: Navy to Get Three Nuclear Submarines >> Naval Today - The Navy Campaign Daily | Scoop.it
Russian Navy will get three nuclear submarines in 2013: two nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarines of the project 955 Borei-class and one nuclear multipurpose attack submarine of the project 885 Yasen-class, ...
- Mon, 04 Mar 2013 09:52:01 +0000: Medal honour for Arctic Convoy reconnaissance photographer from Widnes - Runcorn and Widnes Weekly News - The Navy Campaign Daily | Scoop.it
Medal honour for Arctic Convoy reconnaissance photographer from Widnes
Runcorn and Widnes Weekly News
... for recognition.
- Mon, 04 Mar 2013 09:51:43 +0000: Medal's in the post for convoy veteran - Shields Gazette - The Navy Campaign Daily | Scoop.it
Medal's in the post for convoy veteran
His most vivid memory was of of Boxing Day, 1943, when the German battleship Scharnhorst was sunk by HMS Duke of York off North Cape, in northern Norway.
- Mon, 04 Mar 2013 09:46:25 +0000: Praise for commando helicopter operations - This is Somerset - The Navy Campaign Daily | Scoop.it
Praise for commando helicopter operations
This is Somerset
Visiting the RNAS Yeovilton-based Commando Helicopter Force in Norway last week was Fleet Commander and Deputy Chief of Naval Staff Vice Admiral Philip Jones.
- Mon, 04 Mar 2013 09:44:27 +0000: Stealth Jets Return To The Air Following Engine Snafu — For Now - The Navy Campaign Daily | Scoop.it
The Pentagon's stealth fighters are back in the air. But the fundamental flaw that grounded the F-35 remains. Finicky motors are an inevitable side effect of the plane's design.